Stock ride height of my Sunny Truck is pretty high… much more so that any B110 saloon or coupe I have owned. Having been built in South Africa and intended for abuse on some of that country’s rough terrain and unmade roads, this came as no surprise, but for my purposes it was no good. It’s for street use, so I want it low. So far, the only thing I’ve done is to get the rear leaf springs de-cambered (flattened). This dropped the rear by around 50mm, but didn’t really make it low enough, so I plan to drop it further using some 50mm lowering blocks. Up front the stock suspension is like regular B110s, only sporting drum brakes in place of the more common discs. I needed a brake upgrade but nothing wild, so I figured I’d just swap in B310 Sunny front struts, which have larger discs than B110 saloons and coupes. To get it as low as I wanted but whilst retaining some ride quality, I decided to build some extra short struts….
I chopped about 65mm out of the legs and converted them to adjustable coilovers. I’m using some 185lb/in springs initially, as I just happened to have a set already. These may be suitable, but if not, at least they’ll give me some idea what poundage to go for. After having these parts sat around for the last 18 months, I’ve finally got them installed….
Fitting B310 struts involves swapping the lower suspension arms for B310 ones as well, as the bolt spacing on the steering arm is different. The good news is they are a straight bolt on swap. To accommodate the B310 struts, I had to enlarge the three mounting holes for the upper insulator in the inner wing from 8mm to 10mm, but that’s all. Having got a strut in place it was time to see if the Speed Star F2 wheels I have for the truck will work okay on the front.
These are 7×13 so are a pretty wide rims for the front of a Sunny. They clear the strut by about 8mm which is ideal but there was a minor problem. I was planning to use spacers between the strut and the steering arm to correct the geometry of the lower arm, but it looks like I won’t be able to. With the spacers in place, the track rod end rubber boot touches the back of the wheel and the steering arm is only a couple of millimeters away. Without the spacer in place it all clears beautifully, so that’s the way I’ll have to go. Looking under the truck once it was on the ground, I’d estimate the lower arm will sit almost exactly horizontal once the final ride height is attained. Hopefully it won’t have any bump steer issues!
With the struts on and the clearances checked, it was time to pop some tyres on the rims and see how the truck sat. The rear currently has 185/60R13 on 7.5×13 rims. On the front I’ve gone for 165/60R13. The rear probably needs to go to a 185/55 to match the front profile better, but these will do for now. I I mentioned, the back has yet to come down a further 50mm and I think I’ll drop the front another 30mm, but so far it’s looking pretty good. I’d say these are the widest rims you could fit under stock arches on a Sunny truck. I may have to roll the arch lips up just to make sure they don’t rub once it’s down to its final ride height. Amazingly, the truck still has a lot of ground clearance underneath, so it should remain quite practical.